Three Hours of Darkness...

For this week’s movie night I rented three movies without strategy: “Short Bus” “Naked States” and “Cover”

If I were to review each of these movies and explain them so people who haven’t seen it will understand, it’ll take a million pages; so I’ll cut to the chase…

“Short Bus” and “Naked States” really encapsulated the exhibitionist spirit of freedom and shamelessness, while “Cover” told the story of women damaged by loving men on the DL. The former two movies were predominantly white; the latter had an all black cast. Nudity and Hedonism ran consequence-free in White America, while death and demolition crouched at the door of the bisexual black man.

I understand that each one of these movies were written and directed by different people with different perspectives on life, but I can’t help but see the same parallel in real life. Am I the only one who sees that the stakes are so much higher within the African-American community? Am I the only one who sees the disparity between white hedonism and black whoredom? I can’t help but see the correlation between darkness and disease…

From my standpoint, a bisexual black man, I see white men live liberated and black men finding shelter in secretive shadows. From my understanding of biology and spirituality, disease and infections fester and prosper in dark, dank environments away from light with its cleansing qualities.

Let’s conduct a little experiment, shall we… Let’s take two men and prescribe them the same amount of random penis; however, one participate has the opportunity to partake openly at home and in public places throughout the entire day as the other man is forced to take his dosage during the three hours of darkness between punching out at work and coming home for dinner with his wife. Call me naïve, but I see the second man having more issues than the first. With only three hours of darkness to burn, his decision making capabilities will be greatly compromised.

I’m not looking to solve the whole DL + MARRIAGE = AIDS IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY equation, I’ll just like to ask the question: would the problem still prevail if our desires were made plain? I have a girlfriend who is aware of my bisexuality; it was very hard for her to deal with at first, but she’s coming along. My monogamy supersedes my flexibility. Think about it: I love both men and women, but I love her more.

To the women who feel that they cannot compete with men, shall I remind you that you can’t compete with anyone who’s different in the general sense? My girlfriend cannot compete with the little, humble Asian women or feisty Latina women, nor should she have to…Love isn’t a competition (for the most part). I would also like to mention that my girlfriend’s knowledge of my orientation has given me the best both worlds in the sack. (Let your mind wonder on that accord…more on that later)

…Anyways, you should watch all three movies, in spite of Vivica A. Fox's questionable acting abilities, they’re all rather entertaining…

1 comment:

Prince Todd said...

"From my standpoint, a bisexual black man, I see white men live liberated and black men finding shelter in secretive shadows. From my understanding of biology and spirituality, disease and infections fester and prosper in dark, dank environments away from light with its cleansing qualities."

This was an absolutely fabulous analogy! And it does make a lot of sense.

I believe how you lead your life, gay or straight, is indicative of how you view and measure your own self worth. If you are sneaking around and having sex in toilets and alleyways then, psychologically, you see yourself as degenerate scum. Whereas the opposite is true for the person living his or her life out in the open.

In the African American community we are taught and conditioned to view ourselves, as gay and bisexual men, and our desires as sick and repulsive. So, unless we change our view we act in accordance.

You are not the only one who has noticed the overwhelming freedom in the lives of white gays...
Really, I don't know what it will take. Myself, I am completely out. However, I am an exception to a general rule.

Great post!

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails